The Institut quantique (IQ) became a research institute of the Université de Sherbrooke on February 15,2016. IQ is composed of a governing board, an institute council, a steering committee as well as committees, including a student committee.
The institute council
The institute council is responsible for the pivotal decisions regarding the direction and governance of the Institute. The President is accountable to the University’s Executive Committee through the Vice-President responsible for research. Specifically, the Institute Board approves the strategic plan and scientific programming, the annual budget and the annual report.
The steering committee identifies the broad research directions and emerging areas of interest for the development of the Institute. It identifies opportunities for scientific collaboration with external partners and supports management in its search for collaborators and acts as an ambassador in the activities to which it is invited. Its members will come from the academic or private sector.
The governing board is the executive body of the Institute. His mandate is to:
- coordinate and support the operations necessary to produce a long-term Institute development plan in consultation with the membership assembly and steering committee;
- ensure the dissemination and transfer of information among members of the Institute, between its research teams and with their scientific partners;
- coordinate the joint actions necessary for the advancement of the research work of the members of the Institute and to propose appropriate actions for the implementation of the Institute’s development plan;
- stimulate scientific collaborations among the members of the Institute, by coordinating networking activities between researchers and organizing scientific activities (seminars, conferences, etc.);
- encourage technology transfer and favor, if possible, the start-up of emerging businesses, patenting of discoveries by members of the Institute, in collaboration with SARIC and other appropriate bodies;
- admit members of the Institute.
Members and committees
Members contribute to the Institute’s influence and actively participate in its development. Members undertake to contribute to the establishment and development of research infrastructures for disciplinary and interdisciplinary purposes through committees and working groups. They contribute to the organization of scientific outreach activities, such as summer schools, workshops, etc. They participate in the Institute’s scientific outreach activities. They participate in one or more interdisciplinary projects benefiting from the infrastructure within the institute.
Among the members’ meeting, several committees were formed:
- The local committee
- The scientific animation committee
- The recruitment and postdoctoral fellowships committee
- The quantum engineering committee