Support for Finding a Research Director
How can I convince a professor to oversee my research?
Many feel unequipped when it comes time to find a professor to act as research director. While this step may seem daunting, a steadfast approach will open many doors.
Address professors you want to work with by personalizing your communications. Show them that you don’t just want to work with anyone, you have specific reasons for wanting to work with this person. Make sure to promote yourself, like you would in a job application.
- Do not hesitate to speak with your current professors and ask them for recommendations.
- Be clear and concise when contacting professors and mention the program and level of studies sought.
- Promote your academic results and publications as applicable.
- If you have obtained funding (scholarship), specify the amount and duration.
- Consider joint supervision if a collaboration is established between your academic institution and the UdeS. This option allows you to conduct a research project while being enrolled in both a UdeS program and another partner university. Certain letters of understanding have been signed, including with Bishop’s University and universities located in other countries (several in France).
- If you have an undergraduate degree from Bishop’s University and would like to continue in research at the UdeS, talk about your project with one of your current professors or contact an advisor at the UdeS.
- If you are an international student, contact USherbrooke International; advisors will help you in the steps you need to take.
- Don’t forget to consult all available resources to find a professor or identify your research topic Ne soyez pas timide d’interpeller vos professeurs actuels et de leur demander des recommandations.
You can write to more than one professor, but it would not be appropriate to write to all the professors of a department. Increase your chances for consideration by contacting only professors with whom you have compatible research interests. If your interests are not limited to a single field, do not only undertake steps with your home department, as other related departments can sometimes provide very interesting alternatives.