A research institute is a group of several professors or research centres gathered around an encompassing and multidisciplinary research area. The research institute has at least 20 members, professors of Université de Sherbrooke. The research institute is normally multifaculty and can be interuniversity.
Université de Sherbrooke is home to six research institutes, whose primary mission is conducting research of the highest caliber, training graduate students and service to the community through the development of innovations. These institutes have been established by the Board of Directors of Université de Sherbrooke:
- Research Centre on Aging (CDRV)
- Interdisciplinary Institute for Technological Innovation (3IT)
- Pharmacology Institute of Sherbrooke (IPS)
- Institut quantique (IQ)
- Institut universitaire de première ligne en santé et services sociaux – Université de Sherbrooke (IUPLSSS-US)
- Environment and Sustainable Development Observatory (OEDD)