Research professional position – Institut Quantique
Get involved in research and join us in a unique environment where collaboration is fundamental and investment in our work is a value.
Take part in a dynamic eco-system that is accelerating the quantum revolution! The Institut quantique (IQ) of the Université de Sherbrooke brings together world renowned interdisciplinary research and training in the field of quantum sciences and technologies. IQ provides exceptional scientific and professional opportunities. In a stimulating research environment with a well-established culture of innovation, IQ trains highly qualified personnel that will propel tomorrow’s economy. IQ is looking for a resourceful, creative individual with a desire to learn new things and solve problems. The person in this role will join the team which keeps the experiments going in the Institut quantique’s laboratories.
Type of job
Equity, diversity, inclusion
The Université de Sherbrooke values diversity, equality, equity, and inclusion in employment within its community and invites all qualified persons to apply, in particular women, members of visible and ethnic minorities, Aboriginal people and persons with disabilities. In fact, the Université de Sherbrooke has a dedicated program known as « Programme d’accès à l’égalité en emploi » (PAEE; Equal Employment Opportunity Program). The selection tools can be adapted, on request and in complete confidentiality, to the needs of persons with disabilities (FR). The Université de Sherbrooke also encourages people of all sexual orientations and gender identities to apply. Priority will be given to Canadians and permanent residents. To learn more about equity, diversity and inclusion at UdeS (FR).
Research project’s summary
The QFL is an open ideation laboratory stimulating interdisciplinary collaboration. It was designed to accommodate several users simultaneously, originating from academia and/ or industry, working on various projects and taking advantage of the unique IQ expertise in materials and quantum devices characterization. The technological platform takes the form of a quantum test bench, supplemented by a mechanical workshop, equipped with state-of-the art research tools capable of testing devices at the interface of materials and computing. The person in this role will be actively involved in making sure that experiments are performed in an optimal way and will contribute to the implementation of measurement techniques, including the use of the instruments and their programming.
Additional information about IQ:
- Ensure that the experiments in the Institut quantique’s laboratories are performed in an optimal way.
- Ensure the proper functioning of the measurement devices (cryostats, electronics, computer programs).
- Verify the experimental set-ups and make the necessary corrections in consultation with the users.
- Participate in the technical development of the laboratory as well as its related aspects, including the instrumentation, the programming, and the implementation of new measurement techniques.
- Participate in the development of methods, processes, and experimental protocols related to the equipment.
- Participate in the training of students as well as external users when it comes to the proper use of the equipment, regarding both the safety of the users and the maintenance of sensitive instruments.
- Act as a resource person in cryogenics, low frequency, microwave, and low noise measurements for the different teams. Any relevant or related experience will be considered.
- Be actively involved in certain Institut quantique’s administrative matters (writing grants, technical specifications, publications, reports, perform laboratory visits, etc.).
Possess a graduate degree in an appropriate field of specialization.
- Be comfortable using vacuum and cryogenic systems.
- Have experience with experimental measurements at very low temperatures (which require the use of dilution cryostats). Any other relevant experience will be considered.
- Be able to program using the Python language, including data analysis and instrument control.
- Demonstrate an ability to analyze problems, to identify key information and questions, and to resolve them efficiently.
- Demonstrate an ease of interaction with diverse members of a research group and when it comes to communicating with specialists and non-specialists in the field.
- Have a very good knowledge of spoken and written French and English. The knowledge of both languages is required, as this position will contribute to provide the service in the Institut quantique’s laboratories, for both French and English-speaking users. The selected candidate may also be required to read documentation in French and English.
- Demonstrate rigor, autonomy, dynamism, curiosity, and good organization skills.
- Be able to write clear, structured, and concise documents.
- Be willing to work flexible hours during peak periods.
- Have experience with low noise electrical measurements and microwave set-ups, other relevant experience will be considered.
- Be able to program using the languages Labview, C or C++.
- Have experience in clean room nanofabrication, ultra-high vacuum metal deposition, optical and electronic lithography.
Based on the collective union agreements between the Université de Sherbrooke and the professional union associated with this position and known as « Association du personnel administratif et professionnel de l’Université de Sherbrooke » (APAPUS), Unit « B ».
Salary range: No. 2 or 3 (between 48,940$ and 89,380$).
Fulltime, temporary job, 35 hours per week.
Duration of employment: 2 years, with a possibility of renewal.
Start date: as soon as possible.Apply