QUANTUM COMPUTING DEVELOPER – RESEARCH PROFESSIONAL (2 job openings)
Research Project Summary
The Université de Sherbrooke has launched an ambitious and forward-looking project for one of the great industrial revolutions of the 21st century: from quantum science to quantum technologies. The Institut quantique (IQ) accelerates the quantum revolution to propel us into an era where quantum science will produce technologies that will transform our society. Our mission is to position ourselves as a key player in the quantum revolution and a world leader in interdisciplinary research and training in quantum materials science, quantum information and quantum engineering; an ambitious strategy to meet the needs of the 21st century digital age.
To drive this initiative, the Université de Sherbrooke is investing, with the help of government partners, more than $50 million, notably through the creation and construction of the Institut quantique https://www.usherbrooke.ca/iq/institut/a-propos/. In this strategy, IQ wants to acquire expertise in quantum algorithms, particularly through the acquisition and development of a quantum computing platform.
The Institut quantique of the Université de Sherbrooke is looking for exceptionally motivated individuals who like to see the impact of their work, who are committed to the success of the Institute and who want to be part of a special project. We place students at the centre of research in an open and collaborative environment to accelerate the transition from science to quantum technologies. We develop leaders who possess the skills and critical thinking essential to creating knowledge relevant to an evolving society.
Under the immediate responsibility of the Institute’s Executive Director, the research professional will be responsible for bridging the gap between IQ’s members and partners and IQ’s quantum computing platform. She or he will have to lead the effort to set up IQ’s new quantum computing platform. This job is at the crossroads of research and the application of quantum computing to complex problems. IQ is looking for a proven quantum computing expert who wants to address the challenge of including quantum computing in the paradigm of a multidisciplinary research environment.
The successful candidate will supervise the development of quantum algorithms based on this platform, as well as the adaptation of these algorithms to specific problems that IQ members and their partners will have to solve in the course of their research. The candidate will have to master the scientific foundations of quantum computing and demonstrate the ability to connect scientific solutions with academic and industrial challenges in various fields: physics, finance, machine learning, chemistry, etc. She or he must therefore be comfortable in building working relationships with researchers from different technical fields, as well as with scientists and managers of varied industrial sectors.
- Understand the problems of the different customers, identify those who are promising for use on a quantum computing platform, translate them into algorithmic terms, and then program them on IQ’s specific platform.
- Participate in the conceptualization and implementation of research projects using IQ’s quantum computing platform in coordination with members and partners.
- Participate in the grant application writing process for projects using IQ’s quantum computing platform.
- Write documentation and train new users of IQ’s quantum computing platform.
- Participate in IQ’s public outreach efforts: various presentations, scientific, outreach and popularization events, networking within the quantum community or externally, etc.
- Perform any other task within his or her field of expertise assigned to him or her by the immediate superior and the superior.
- A PhD in physics, computer science or any other relevant field with a strong background in quantum information.
- Thorough knowledge of existing quantum algorithms and experience in developing new algorithms
- Experience in implementing these algorithms to solve complex problems.
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written French and English languages.
- Rigour, autonomy, dynamism, curiosity and a good sense of organization.
- Experience interacting with various members of a research group, ability to communicate with specialists and non-specialists in the quantum computing field.
- Ability to write clear, structured and concise documents
- Leadership in project management and supervision of students and trainees.
- Willingness to work flexible hours during peak periods.
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally (a few days a year).
- Experience with existing quantum computing platforms, particularly those based on quantum gate systems.
- Knowledge of quantum programming languages (Qiskit, Forest, Q#, OpenQuasm, etc.)
- Ability to use git and GitHub.
- Experience with high-performance computing platforms.
- Familiarity with complexity theory and complexity analysis of quantum algorithms.
- Experience in the design, implementation and analysis of numerical experiments.
- Familiarity with quantum error mitigation and correction techniques.
Temporary full-time employment, thirty-five (35) hours per week.
Duration of employment: contractual employment for a period of two (2) years, with the possibility of extension.
Expected start date: November 2019.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION: MONDAY, OCTOBER 28, 2019 at 5:00 p. m.Apply now (French)