PROJECT MANAGER – PARTNERSHIP DEVELOPMENT IN QUANTUM APPLICATIONS
Research project summary
The Université de Sherbrooke has launched an ambitious and forward-looking project for one of the great industrial revolutions of the 21st century: from quantum science to quantum technologies. The Institut quantique (IQ) accelerates the quantum revolution to propel us into an era where quantum science will produce technologies that will transform our society. Our mission is to position ourselves as a key player in the quantum revolution and a world leader in interdisciplinary research and training in quantum materials science, quantum information and quantum engineering; an ambitious strategy to meet the needs of the 21st century digital age.
To drive this initiative, the Université de Sherbrooke is investing, with the help of government partners, more than $50 million, notably through the creation and construction of the Institut quantique https://www.usherbrooke.ca/iq/en/institut/about/. In this strategy, IQ wants to acquire a quantum computing platform and develop a network of partners wishing to be at the forefront of the quantum revolution.
The Institut quantique of the Université de Sherbrooke is looking for exceptionally motivated individuals who like to see the impact of their work, who are committed to the success of the Institute and who want to be part of a special project. We place students at the center of research in an open and collaborative environment to accelerate the transition from science to quantum technologies. We develop leaders who possess the skills and critical thinking essential to creating knowledge relevant to an evolving society.
Under the immediate responsibility of IQ’s Executive Director, the project manager will participate in the development of quantum science and technology and the strategic positioning of quantum science by benefiting from all of the IQ’s resources and expertise. She or he will actively contribute to the sustainability and growth of quantum science and its influence nationally and internationally, both in the academic and industrial communities.
The successful candidate will ensure the development of scientific and industrial partnerships between the IQ and external partners. She or he will lead the work team responsible for implementing activities related to partnership development. She or he must therefore be comfortable building working relationships with researchers from different technical fields, as well as with scientists and managers in industrial sectors.
- Prospecting and soliciting new partners, including cold solicitation, planning and conducting presentations, meeting partners face-to-face, preparing presentations and value propositions.
- Review prospecting leads, pending partnerships and partnerships in progress by establishing action plans to advance each cycle and ensure that records are kept up to date.
- Organize networking opportunities between identified partners and IQ members.
- Facilitate the partner’s journey within the university environment during the canvassing, the implementation of the agreement, the execution of the research and the conclusion of the project.
- Lead the IQ’s quantum platform development team and manage its deadlines.
- Participate in the strategic positioning of IQ and develop its identity and key messages.
- Design, plan and carry out events that promote the establishment of partnerships related to the communication strategy and the scientific positioning of the IQ.
- Perform any other task within his or her field of competence as assigned by IQ’s management.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to quickly develop professional relationships.
- Exceptional skills in preparing business proposals.
- Leadership in project management.
- Experience in team management.
- Strong diplomatic, organizational and strategic management skills.
- Autonomy, initiative and a strong motivation to achieve results.
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written French and English.
- A valid driver’s license and a reliable means of transportation.
- High availability to travel regularly both locally and abroad.
- Experience in business management and development in the university environment.
- Master the scientific foundations of quantum physics and have the ability to connect quantum solutions with industrial challenges.
- Have actively participated in the development, strategic expansion and outreach of a world-class research center or technology company.
- In-depth knowledge of the international context and key players in the development of quantum science and the potential benefits of quantum technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to popularize the technical details of quantum technologies.
- A master’s degree in an appropriate field of specialization.
- A doctorate is considered an asset.
- An MBA is considered an asset.
- A minimum of three years of experience in high-tech business development.
Temporary full-time employment, thirty-five (35) hours per week.
Duration of employment: contractual employment for a period of two (2) years, with the possibility of extension.
Expected start date: November 2019.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION: MONDAY, OCTOBER 28, 2019 at 5:00 p. m.Apply now (French)