EXPERT IN THEORETICAL QUANTUM INFORMATION – RESEARCH PROFESSIONAL
Research project summary
The Université de Sherbrooke has launched an ambitious and forward-looking project for one of the great industrial revolutions of the 21st century: from quantum science to quantum technologies. The Institut quantique (IQ) accelerates the quantum revolution to propel us into an era where quantum science will produce technologies that will transform our society. Our mission is to position ourselves as a key player in the quantum revolution and a world leader in interdisciplinary research and training in quantum materials science, quantum information and quantum engineering; an ambitious strategy to meet the needs of the 21st century digital age. https://www.usherbrooke.ca/iq/institut/a-propos/
The Institut quantique of the Université de Sherbrooke is looking for exceptionally motivated individuals who like to see the impact of their work, who are committed to the success of the Institute and who want to be part of a special project. We place students at the center of research in an open and collaborative environment to accelerate the transition from science to quantum technologies. We develop leaders who possess the skills and critical thinking essential to creating knowledge relevant to an evolving society.
Under the immediate responsibility of Professor David Poulin, a professor member of IQ, the research professional will be responsible for supervising the development of research projects in theoretical quantum information. He or she will work directly with the students responsible for these projects, as well as with the researchers who supervise them.
- Assist students and postdoctoral fellows in their research projects in theoretical quantum computing
- Act as a resource person for students and interns.
- Attend weekly meetings.
- Supervise students in the implementation of their projects (code development, writing articles, preparation of scientific presentations).
- Support new students and interns.
- Professor support
- Assist in the preparation of grant applications, research contracts, reports or other documents.
- Assist in the preparation of teaching materials.
- Scientific animation
- Facilitate weekly group meetings and ensure their proper functioning.
- Participate in the choice of scientific themes.
- Research support
- Follow the scientific literature in theoretical quantum computing.
- Participate in the development and implementation of research projects.
- A PhD in physics, computer science or any other relevant field with a strong background in quantum information.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in quantum computing.
- Thorough knowledge of existing quantum algorithms and experience in developing new algorithms
- Experience in implementing these algorithms to solve complex problems.
- Familiarity with quantum error mitigation and correction techniques.
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written French and English languages.
- Rigour, autonomy, dynamism, curiosity and a good sense of organization.
- Experience interacting with various members of a research group, ability to communicate with specialists and non-specialists in the quantum computing field.
- Ability to write clear, structured and concise documents
- Leadership in project management and supervision of students and trainees.
- Willingness to work flexible hours during peak periods.
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally (a few days a year).
Temporary full-time employment, thirty-five (35) hours per week.
Duration of employment: contractual employment for a period of two (2) years, with the possibility of extension.
Expected start date: 1 October 2019.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION: SATURDAY, AUGUST 31, 2019 at 5:00 p. m.Apply now (French)