Developer in Quantum Computing – IBM Quantum Platform – Research Project
Take part in a dynamic ecosystem that is accelerating the quantum revolution! The Institut quantique (IQ) of the Université de Sherbrooke brings together world-renowned interdisciplinary research and training experts in the fields of quantum science and technology. The Institute offers exceptional scientific and professional perspectives. A stimulating research environment within a well-established culture of innovation, IQ trains highly qualified personnel that will propel tomorrow’s economy!
Under the direct supervision of the Institut quantique’s Executive Director, the research professional will be responsible for bridging the gap between IQ and IBM Q Hub members. The person will work directly with industrial and academic partners to advance innovative research projects. IQ is looking for a person with experience in quantum computing or high-performance computing, who is interested in tackling the challenge of including quantum computing in a research environment at the intersection of academia and private enterprise.
SUMMARY OF THE RESEARCH PROJECT
IQ’s research specialties focus on quantum materials, quantum information and quantum engineering. From a fundamental point of view, this means understanding what happens to the laws of electricity, optics and mechanics when they begin to follow quantum laws. Perhaps more importantly, our team wants to take advantage of this ground-breaking knowledge to develop new devices with revolutionary operating principles, which will make it possible to overcome the limits faced by conventional electronics. As part of this strategy, IQ wants to acquire expertise in quantum algorithms, notably through the creation of its IBM Q Hub.
More information about l’Institut quantique:
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will oversee the development of classical and quantum algorithms that can be processed by the IBM Q computing platform, as well as the application of these algorithms to help IBM Q Hub member solve specific research problems. The individual will have to demonstrate the ability to connect scientific solutions with academic and industrial challenges in various fields: physics, machine learning, chemistry, finance, etc. She/he must therefore be able to create good working relationships with researchers from different technical fields, as well as with scientists and managers from industrial sectors.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in the conceptualization and implementation of research projects using IBM’s quantum computing capability.
- Write documentation and train new users on a quantum computing platform.
- Participate in IQ’s community and outreach efforts including for various presentations, scientific and outreach events, networking within the quantum community and the IBM Q Network.
- Participate in the grant writing process for IBM Q Hub projects when required.
- Perform any other tasks within her/his area of expertise as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
Hold a master’s degree in physics or computer science or any other relevant field with a solid background in quantum and/or high-performance computing.
- Have demonstrated experience with high performance computing platforms.
- Experience in implementing algorithms to solve complex problems.
- Experience interacting with various members of a research group and an ability to communicate with specialists and non-specialists.
- Demonstrate rigor, autonomy, dynamism, curiosity and good organizational skills.
- Have very good knowledge of spoken and written English and French.
- Have the ability to write clear, structured and concise documents.
- Demonstrate leadership in project management and supervision of students and interns.
- Be willing to work flexible hours during peak periods.
- Knowledge of classical and quantum programming languages is an asset (Qiskit, Python, Forest, Q#, OpenQuasm, etc.).
Based on the collective union agreement between the Université de Sherbrooke and the Association du personnel administratif et professionnel de l’Université de Sherbrooke (APAPUS), Unit “B” (Research Personnel).
Salary Scale 2 (18 echelons ranging between 48 940 $ et 77 969 $) or u No 3 (24 echelons ranging between 51 233 $ et 89 380 $). in CAD
Temporary full-time employment, 35 hours per week.
Duration of employment: 1 and a half years contract employment, with the possibility of extension.
Expected start date: as soon as possible.
RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS
Please forward your resume to the Human Resources Department electronically by clicking on the “Apply” button,
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION: THURSAY, NOVEMBER 26, 2021 at 5:00 p. m.
We thank all applicants. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.