Personal organizer for people with Alzheimer's
Ap@lz is an electronic organizer that has been designed to support the daily activities of people with Alzheimer's disease. It has been designed to be easy and pleasant to use by people who are unfamiliar with technology and have significant cognitive problems. The features have been designed according to the information required to plan one' schedule and to move. They have been designed to limit the demands in terms of planning and memory, abilities that are affected by Alzheimer's disease. To evaluate the potential of this technology, three seniors with Alzheimer's disease learned to use Ap@lz in a learning approach divided into three stages: acquisition, application and adaptation. They used Ap@lz for a minimum of 6 months, some have been using it for more than a year. The results indicate that they were all able to learn how to use Ap@lz functions and use them in their daily activities.
Members of the team
Sylvain Giroux, Domus laboratory, Université de Sherbrooke
Hélène Pigot, Domus laboratory, Université de Sherbrooke
Nathalie Bier, Université de Montréal
Lise Gagnon, Université de Sherbrooke
Brigitte Gilbert, neuropsychologist, Institut universitaire de gériatrie de Montréal
Nicolas Marcotte, Domus laboratory, Université de Sherbrooke
Jean-Paul Viboud, Domus laboratory, Université de Sherbrooke
Hélène Imbeault, neuropsychologist, Clinique de Santé Neuropsychologique, Sherbrooke
Perrine Cribier-Delande,Domus laboratory, Université de Sherbrooke
Michel Brunet, Domus laboratory, Université de Sherbrooke
Hannah Lefumat, Domus laboratory, Université de Sherbrooke
Mathilde Blanc Machado, Domus laboratory, Université de Sherbrooke
Elsa Soares, Domus laboratory, Université de Sherbrooke
- Hélène Imbeault, Lise Gagnon, Hélène Pigot, Sylvain Giroux, Nicolas Marcotte, Perrine Cribier-Delande, Julie Duval, Christian Bocti, Guy Lacombe, Tamás Fülöp & Nathalie Bier (2018) Impact of AP@LZ in the daily life of three persons with Alzheimer’s disease: long-term use and further exploration of its effectiveness, Neuropsychological Rehabilitation, 28:5, 755-778
- Hélène Imbeault, Nathalie Bier, Hélène Pigot, Lise Gagnon, Nicolas Marcotte, Tamas Fulop, Sylvain Giroux
Electronic organiser and Alzheimer's disease: Fact or fiction?, Neuropsychological Rehabilitation, Vol. 24, Iss. 1, 2014, pp. 71-100
- Hélène Imbeault, Hélène Pigot, Nathalie Bier, Lise Gagnon, Nicolas Marcotte, Sylvain Giroux and Tamas Fülöp. Interdisciplinary Design of an Electronic Organizer for Persons with Alzheimer’s Disease, ICOST 2011, Montréal, Canada, June 20-22, 201, pp. 137-144
- Imbeault, H., Bier, N., Pigot, H., Gagnon, L., Marcotte, N., Fulop, T., Giroux, S. (2010). Conception d’un agenda électronique adapté pour des personnes atteintes de la maladie d’Alzheimer : AP@LZ. Journée scientifique du Centre de recherche sur le vieillissement, Orford, 13 mai 2010. Cahier des résumés, p. 14.
- Imbeault, H., Bier, N., Gagnon, L., Pigot, H., Giroux, S., Marcotte, N., & Fülöp, T. (2011). Electronic organizer for persons with Alzheimer’s disease: First demonstration of independent use of the AP@LZ. Final Program Thirty-Ninth Annual Meeting International Neuropsychological Society – February 2-5 2011, Boston, Massachusetts, 75-76.